Steering Play

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Hey

Once i hopped up my mini z with camber blocks, new tie rods etc. It became apparent to me that thee was atleast 5-10degrees of slack in the steering setup. So like all good Jamie s, i fixed it :p

1). Open the servo case, and check the coupling between the 3rd servo gear and the Tie rod. If there is some slack, squeeze the 3rd servo gear coupler thingy with a pair of pliers to widen it. Do this until it has no slack, but can still move freely. Reassemble the servo.

2). A large amount of slack is due to the coupling between the tie rod and the steering knuckles. To fix, cut a piece of insulation tape 4mm x 12mm. insert it through the eye of the knuckle, so the sticky side is facing the inner side. Fold it over so the tape sticks to itself like a tab . Test it out and cut off the excess tape. I guess you could also try heatshrink on the tie rod coupling aswell.

3). There may be a bit of slack in the actual wheels. Tighten the nuts so there is no slack, but the wheels still spin freely.

If life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life, then let s get wasted and have the time of our lives!!

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Anybody noticed the slack??
      Anybody tried fixing it??

If life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life, then let’s get wasted and have the time of our lives!!

Shypo
      Participant

i have never ever noticed that man.. could be sum race damage:question:

—-
      Go Fast, Be Free with Low CC

Undisputed Post Pimp

PandaBear
      Participant

No, not really.

You sure this isn’t just result of impact damage? :dead:

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Nah, this was straight after i added hopup parts such as tie rods, knuckles etc.

If life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life, then let’s get wasted and have the time of our lives!!

VR-4
      Participant

same prob after i switched over to alu. them i stiched back to plasctic

GT-ahh
      Participant

what brand tie rod / knuckles did u use?

VR-4
      Participant

i used powerline racing then i used gpm and then i used megatech and all the same

Keymaster

Yeah think some of the parts loose tolerance. Mine has a small amount of play – I need to finish working on it and invest in some decent wheels and tyres though before I have to go to the lengths that Jamie has 😉

--
      Site Owner Guy.

GT-ahh
      Participant

I wanna know what jamie used so i can not buy that brand…

VR-4
      Participant

pn racing have zero play all the outher brands have some play

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

I used topcad rods and knuckles, they are great once you get it all sorted out, a thin piece of heatshrink does wonders.

Oh and ive now broken my 4th servo gear :dead:

VR-4
      Participant

i use the metal servo gears there worth the money.

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

ive broken 4 servo gears sofar, i need to find where i can get metal gears.

VR-4
      Participant

http://www.towerhobbies.com has them use code 01V9 thats $10 off a $24.99 order or more

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Do you think i can be bothered ordering one teeny gear from the USA…thanks anyway.

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.