Subaru Rally Car video!!!!(real car, not bit)

Home Forums Bit Char-G, Digi-Q and other Micros Bit CharG and Micro Radio Controlled – Discussion Subaru Rally Car video!!!!(real car, not bit)

Viewing 65 reply threads
  • Author
      spanky
      Participant

we took this video last weekend while starting the cars on what ended up to be the final stage of the rally. i have tons ov pics and even some more video. i plan on merging all the videos into one avi. anyway…

this is one of the bodys that i plan on making decals for my bit for. there are other wrc decals out there. however they are kinda general. i plan on making exact decals to replicate the SRT-USA cars.

I also plan on doing a couple evolutions… and maybe a beatle or mini…

subaru launching in the mud…

Custom bodys: Ferari 250 GTO, 69 doge charger, Micro Cooper, Beemer 320i Turbo, Baha Beatle, New Beatle Rsi Porche 911
      email: custombitbodys@attbi.com

Impreza
      Participant

Thanks for the vid spanky, that made my morning:):approve:

Impreza :smiley16:

Impreza
      Participant

spanky have you checked out toyeast lately. I went there last night after a couple of months and found some very nice paint jobs on a couple of skylines and supras. Thinking of picking up the Jomo Skyline GTR (Japan rally series car?).

Check them out

I don’t think you will be disapointed.

spanky
      Participant

yea ive seen these. and they do look very nice.. i just want to have an american paint job.. the america rally cars are a tad bit different from the wrc cars as far as decals go..

Custom bodys: Ferari 250 GTO, 69 doge charger, Micro Cooper, Beemer 320i Turbo, Baha Beatle, New Beatle Rsi Porche 911

Racer9
      Participant

I am going to STPR and I see these cars every year.

spanky
      Participant

do you know what the total stage mileage is for that rally? i was kinda disapointed with the Rim of the world rally. it was cool, but just not very long. something like 200 something miles with transit and stage miles.. I grew up working on the Lake Superior Pro Rally (LSPR). LSPR i believe has well over 500 miles of stage and transit.. or the Press On Regardless (POR) as it used to be known. I would have to say that one of my favorite cars is still John Buffoms Audi. the LSPR is spread over a much bigger area than the Rim Rally, and i would guess that there are about 3-4x as many people at the LSPR there are also many more different stages. The Rim rally ran many stages twice, in the same direction. wheres the challenge in that. they should at least run it backwards the second time!

barto_85
      Participant

Nice video spanky, damn that has a quick take off, especially in the mud.

Racer9
      Participant

315 plus with transits.140 plus miles in stages. They have many people come. My dad used to rally so he knows some people. My dad finished second or something in the POR (Ithink that is what it was) in a Chevy Suburban. He did very well. Beat John Buffum (or however you spell it) a few times.

Racer9
      Participant

Check out stpr.org

spanky
      Participant

well if your dad was racing a suburban then he wasnt racing John Buffum.. the suburban back in the day would have been a completely different class than the cars buffom was racing.(audi quatro). if your dad raced after 1993 then it was just a TSD rally or Time Speed Distance, which any car can run in… I worked on the POR the last 7 years it was run as an off road performance rally(simmilar to WRC) and i honestly dont remember a suburban ever being rallyed.. but i could be wrong.. can you find some old pics?

i found a cool pic of a datsun 510 jumping at the 1981 POR. this stage is located on the shores of the portage canal in houghton michigan…

i checked out that site but couldnt find anything about mileage and stuff… but thanks.

Racer9
      Participant

I mean he normally raced Dodge Shelby, Plymouth Arrow(Dodge Dart), and something else. He raced in the ’80s.

barto_85
      Participant

I guess your dads a pretty good driver then. can he drive your bits well? my parents are hopeless, they just crash it all the time.

Edited by – barto_85 on 12 May 2003 09:24:32

spanky
      Participant

cool i probably have pics of that then.. do you know what years he raced? buffum won the POR at least 4 times and his team took it a few other times.. Rod Millen also won it 4 or five times in the early eightys… the only plymoth arrow that won it was in 1977..(i loved those cars…) the triumph TR-7 was also a rally winner… and when the RX-7 came out it won quite a few with rod millen driving.. i believe Millen went on to drive stadium trucks.. and baha trucks and other rally… but after the mid to late 80’s he didnt hit the off road rally circuit to much…

barto_85
      Participant

who is the driver of the WRX in the video spanky?

spanky
      Participant

driver Ramana Lagemann
      co-driver Michael Orr
      the vid had the #5 subie..

the #4 subie was driven by
      driver Mark Lovell
      co-driver Steve Turvey

barto_85
      Participant

ok, thanks.

barto_85
      Participant

so is this just like a wrc just in the US is it? just a US competition.

Racer9
      Participant

Yeah. Stopped in ’89 cause I was born. He won a few other rallies but not POR. He still has his Nomex suit and Carbon fiber helmet. He also has the original FIA Rally lisence(needed to race in Canada). The only difference between F1 and his is that His says Rallye Only on it.

spanky
      Participant

well.. the WRC probably wont make it to the states for another 4-5 years.. there is just not enough spectators, or interest for it here yet.. so cars like the Citroen, Peugot, Skoda… will probaly not be seen over here. This race is very similar to the WRC, There are slight differences. in fact every rally in the states may have slightly differnt rules.. for example some rallys dont permit speeding while in trahsit to a stage. if you get caught speeding you are disqualified. I believe that speeding to get to a stage in WRC is permitted.. Also with the SCCA rallys hhere in the states there are several different classes.. so the first 10 -15 cars you see will most likely be cars with major sponsors. after that there are many 2wd and awd cars that are driven by smaller race teams. many of which just race as a hobby.

The idea is the same. fast cars, fast roads.. race through stages and transit to the next. both have jumps and also race some of the stages on tarmac.. but from what ive seen here in the states most of the racing is done on dirt…

WRC races may have a hundred thousand people come for an event. a rally in the USA may have ten thousand attend. however rallying in the states is growing every year.

personally i would just love to get one of those Citroens to rally over here. but i have also been pondering the idea of getting an old ice cream truck to rally… complete with the good humor uniform, and music… it would be a hoot!!!

Racer9
      Participant

Yeah. If we were to have a WRC event here we would need to build a rally “stadium” thingy. You will be punished here in the states for speeding. My dad’s old co driver is still racing and some of his friends are too. Once at STPR there was a rally Mini Cooper (old one). It didn’t race though, unfortunately.lol

Racer9
      Participant

Yeah. If we were to have a WRC event here we would need to build a rally “stadium” thingy. You will be punished here in the states for speeding. My dad’s old co driver is still racing and some of his friends are too. Once at STPR there was a rally Mini Cooper (old one). It didn’t race though, unfortunately.lol:p

spanky
      Participant

well i dont see what the stadium would be needed for.. WRC rallys take place on roads not in stadiums. spectators line the sides of the roads at safe spots (areas where they are least likely to get run over). and as far as the speeding goes. it depends on the rally i know that LSPR and one other rally disqualify racers if they are caught speeding. Rim of the world rally does not disqualify speeders.. they just have to pay the ticket.

and there was a mini raced at the rim rally this year. a new one. i got pics. hopefully i will have time to finish the photoalubm tonite…

Racer9
      Participant

I mean a large purpose built outdoor spectator thingy like they have on U.K. rally. Cool

spanky
      Participant

humm im still not sure what your talking about.. the only large spectator thing that they have at these is usually held at some type of large arena.. sometimes soccer or football fields… or better yet very large parks…that is where they set up a service area, as well as have the main expo.. as far as on the auctual stages i doubt that would auctually happen.. they race on real roads, not a closed circuit.. sure the roads are closed at the time. but they are not racing on a “race track” so any construction of anything would have to be temoprary, unless the owner of the land were to build it. usually the only bleachers that i have seen are erected at the finish lines..

now i have heard that there are some closed circuit rallys thats completely different. that would be like covering laguna seca with dirt and throwing in a few chicanes, and some jumps… it would almost be like stadium truck racing.. which i dont think is nearly as fun..

i think the most important thing that is needed over here to get the wrc is a much larger fan base. plus the introduction of the citron, skoda, and the reintroduction of the peugot over here would probably help also…

Lazboy
      Participant

Spanky the type of stage Racer9 is talking about is a super special stage unlike the normal special stage
      it is a stage designed for specators mostly done at night

spanky
      Participant

ahh yea thats different… however once again. its done using temporary bleachers.. and with the recend deaths in the USA last weekend we might see a definate decline in rallying. its a shame..

Impreza
      Participant

spanky, what happened? Where? Hadn’t heard anything up here?

barto_85
      Participant

are those special stages that you are talking about the ones where they start in one lane and on the first lap finish where the other car started?

barto_85
      Participant

I think i’ve played those on colin mcrae rally 2.

Edited by – barto_85 on 14 May 2003 20:26:44

Impreza
      Participant

What do you think of CM 2 barto?:)

spanky
      Participant

two people were killed when a rally car lost control last weekend in a club rally in penn. i believe it was called the sawmill rally… the people were where they shouldnt have been.. this is the biggest issue with having rallys over here. The SCCA (sports car club of america) does what it can to prevent this kind of event, however spectators dont listen. The result is someone gets hit by a car. Legal battles resulting from this may hinder the growth of rallys because if a rally worker, who is a voulnteer gets the blame placed on him or her, others may not want to voulnteer just so some dumb spectator jumps out onto a track to take a pic. Nobody wants that kinda responsibility. in some cases Stage captains/workers, may have to deal with hundreds of people trying to spectate a stage. All it takes is one car to lose control and many people can get hurt. The SCCA does take measures to prevent this type of occurance. but there are always a few people that manage to sneak through the woods to a dangerous area.. I have worked on rallys befor where stages were shut down because of specators. they were just appearing where they shouldnt be. Rally officials do give and encourage stages designated as spectator stages. in many cases they will even shuttle the people to and from the areas where people can spectate. these areas provide a great viewing oppertunity, are staffed with rally workers and are designated as safe areas.

i just think its a shame. i hope that lawsuits dont eliminate the pro rally circuit from the states!!

oh. i also posted those photo albums

http://tonyspics.home.comcast.net/rally/rallyphotos.html
      and
      http://turb00.home.comcast.net/rally/rallypics.html

albums have links to eachother.. one album has tons of pics from the expo. the other has pics from the start of what ended up being the final stage of the rally…

Edited by – spanky on 11 July 2003 02:31:03

spanky
      Participant

oh and a special stage as defined by the FIA

Super Special Stage
      A stage with two parallel tracks, specially set up to allow pairs of rally cars to literally race against each other without actually being on the same road.

barto_85
      Participant

excellent pictures spanky

Racer9
      Participant

Again? Someone died there two years ago. That is a rally school so that may explain it.

spanky
      Participant

no that dosent explain it. the driver and co-driver were expeirenced rallyers.. and the people that got killed were also experienced rallyers…

I have never heard of a school that operates durring a prorally. the school may be putting it on. but in order to race it you have to meet all specifications just like any other rally. Being this was a club rally, there were probably many newcomers. Also you usually never see club rallyists reach the speeds of the prorallyers. there is a reason for closing these roads down… and not allowing spectators into certain areas.. the people that died were auctually part of another race team hoping to see some cars… apparently the car lost control (which happens all the time… even with the pros)

Impreza
      Participant

Thanks for the pics spanky. The Red Wrx is growing on me, but I still like the classic blue:) lol, I wonder what fare the cabbie got?

Racer9
      Participant

What red WRX? Spanky I don’t know this so….. The rally started out as the final test thingy for the old rally school. Don’t know if it still exists though. Yeah they lose control all the time. The fast drivers go like 70 at STPR. Maybe more on straight stretches. Most cars go like 60 tops. They mostly go around 40+. My dad when we drive to stages he goes probably 50. He still knows how to rally though and he is trying to show me more rally tips every year. If my dad still rallied he would probably hit 100+ on some roads but still be faster than almost everything out there. BTW Ever seen a 4×4 Chevy Astro van try to do a rally style slide on a corner? You don’t want to especially when the driver doesn’t know how to drive worth crap.

spanky
      Participant

the fact that it was a school still shouldnt matter… there is still a school but those people shouldnt have been where they were.. anyway. true on the speeds, different stages will post different times. most club cars do go around 40+ prolevel racers are averaging speeds in the upper 70’s depending on the stage. the Ramada Cup Rally has average speeds of 120+ (pro class). cpeeds are pretty much dependent on class and type of rally. club rallys dont approach the speeds of prorallys.

no i havent seen the astro van. but we used to have a plymouth voyager that we would push to the limits.. sideways around corners and stuff… My father used to race also and he showed us a few things. he raced an old audi gt. not the AWD car.

the red wrx is shown in the expo pics.. it wasnt a rally car. more of a drag/street car. its a world record holding wrx…

Racer9
      Participant

The van wasn’t racing they were just being idiotic stage control people. We did that with ours too But try doing it with a luggage carrier on the roof. I am talking about pro rallies. My dad raced Dodge Shelby (red & silver) and Plymouth Arrow.

spanky
      Participant

yea those are 2wd cars. they dont achieve the same speeds as the awd cars do. also like i said it depends on the rally. some rallys have straighter roads which allow for faster speeds… you also have to realize that your dad was racing over 10 years ago. there have been alot of advancments since then, which allow cars to go much faster.. i have no doubt what your saying for speeds is right on.. but i can attest for speeds in the past few years. i have been working timing on these things all my life. cars are much faster now than they were in years past. from what i understand the biggest advances have been made with the tires.

now some stages do have average speeds of 40-50 just due to the amt of corners.. and sometimes weather even limits the speeds to 30+mph…

o well

spanky
      Participant

http://turb00.home.attbi.com/DSCF0049.AVI

http://turb00.home.attbi.com/DSCF0050.AVI
      second one is not working yet

a couple more videos.. one more video…

Edited by – spanky on 19 May 2003 05:40:19

Racer9
      Participant

Oh yeah He also drove a Dodge Daytona. Once he drove a Chevy Suburban. He drove it because he rolled his Shelby in Arkansas. He ran into a culvert. He even snapped the roll cage. He got a new body from Dodge though.

Racer9
      Participant

I should be able to get pictures of the STPR rally if you guys want them.

Racer9
      Participant

Okay then….

spanky
      Participant

yea we want pics…. at least i know i do…

Racer9
      Participant

Cool I’ll try to get pics then.

barto_85
      Participant

yeah pics would be good, are you just going to post them under your member directory on here? or do you have a webpage?

Racer9
      Participant

Here

Racer9
      Participant

I will probably post them in my gallery too.

Racer9
      Participant

I will be going next weekend. Don’t expect pics quickly though because I have to scan them than post them.

spanky
      Participant

i got a bunch of the ones that i took developed at target. and got them put on kodak cd for 10 dollars… it was a 27exp camera… that may be the easyiest way for you to go…save you a lot of time…

Racer9
      Participant

Oh well

Racer9
      Participant

I am going this weekend so if anyone else wants some you better tell me because I might no post them.

spanky
      Participant

i want to see them!!!

Racer9
      Participant

I know I won’t be on for a few days so I can go but I am happy because my oral presentation went well and I got a B+!

Racer9
      Participant

Hi I am here for the morning. Driving up later today. Oh yeah who are the people in your pics Spanky?

spanky
      Participant

that would be me and my little blonde friend….:D

Racer9
      Participant

Oh I am back and I have pics of cars and our car when we got back. We missed one stage in the morning due to bad information. We made it up though so by for now.

Impreza
      Participant

post the pics when you can:)

Racer9
      Participant

I have to get them developed. and then scanned

Racer9
      Participant

I got pictures but they aren’t scanned yet!

spanky
      Participant

scan any yet?

Racer9
      Participant

nope!

Racer9
      Participant

The top Subaru driver and co-driver died when they hit a tree on the first stage last weekend at Oregon Trails. They were the first cars in. They ran the rally that night and the next day.:shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

Racer9
      Participant
      Racer9
      Participant
Viewing 65 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.