Super Bit Char-G Porsche: Review.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

some people have been asking for a review of a Super bitchar-g so here we go…

I?ll start by saying that I?m probably not what you?d call a hard-core Bit fan, as I?ve only had 2 sets until I got the Porsche, and in fact, as i”d sold my red skyline JGTC skyline, I only had the one (an initial D set) anyway, here?s a summary of what?s changed between bit char-g and super bit char-g.

For starters, the wheels are smaller. The rears are the same size as an original front wheel. Overall, the difference is about 1mm at the top of the rear tyre, which translates to an overall lowering of 0.5 mm of the whole chassis. This doesn?t leave a lot of ground clearance to play with. Light carpet that a Mk1 BCG could deal with is now a major problem. This also will have an effect on gear ratio- in effect, all super BCG will be running a slightly shorter overall drive ratio to an original car running the same gear and axle.

The overall frame of the chassis is lower, presumably to allow lower shells, but here?s where the problems seem to have crept in.
      The chassis dept seem to have fulfilled their brief of creating a lower chassis to take the lower, sleeker bodies of the intended models. But, the new bodies sit far too high on them- presumably to maintain backwards-compatibility with the old chassis. You can see, with the Porsche shell on the new chassis, plenty of room to lower the whole thing another 2-3 mm or so.

I also got a dome-0 pullback, and that shell looks better on the new chassis, so it?s partly a just a problem with the Porsche- I also got a Countach as a birthday present of my flatmate, so hopefully that will be better.

The good things- I like the new frequency system- this bodes particularly well for EU users where 27 and 40 are the only allowable frequencies for RC toys. When these are launched outside Japan the average punter who will get them in “the gadget shop” won’t just be restricted to the two-car races.
      I like having a proper telescopic aerial (I think this is new for SBCG), and the car stays on the charging station much better with the new locking tabs. annoaynce is that the two aren;t compatible.
      The easier swapping of front wheels (along with the uprights) is good, and the lower stance of the chassis looks great, particularly with an old body (such as my AE86) underneath it. even smaller wheels look OK, it’s just the porsche shell that seems to look very under-wheeled. In fact- with the 911 shell on the original chassis, it still looks too tall, I think it’s to do with the low angle and roundedness of the tail that’s made them have to have it too high. models with squarer back-ends shouln’d be so bad (though the pic of the F40 on the HLJ site looks awful).

Participant

thanks for that RichT.

Participant

Got the Porsche 911 (27Mhz, Chan B) and here’s my observations:

. Front and back rims are equal in diameter (thi changes from car to car though)
      . Tyres are softs, not med’s like original bcg
      . Range is crap, like less than 2 meters (6ft)
      . Last command is “remembered” when going out of range, makes it hard to controll well.
      . Car keeps it’s charge very well. I can pickup where I left off from hours ago and the car still runs.
      . Can’t do an internal dual cell to the chassis due to a smaller body cavity.

My overall view is that it is no good. Save your money and just get the pullbacks for the shells.

I have heard that the 40Mhz versions are better with their range and that they don’t suffer from the “last command remembered” issue.

(deflated) ph2t.

Participant

yeah i got the porsche pullback body, it looks great lots of detail on it compared to some series 1 bits i have.

i hope the booster super bits are better.

good review btw very detailed, nice.

Participant

booster super bits??? what kits are coming out that are boosted?

Participant

The release took to long and now I have started to loose interest in them.

Participant

ARE THE AXELS FROM SBGC COMPATIBLE WITH BG AND VICE VERSA>????/

Participant

yes- the wheels are of differing sizes, but the gears themselves are the same.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.