Turkey Hill Raceway progress report

Viewing 32 reply threads
  • Author
      8ch Ess Vee
      Participant

Hi all,

some more happy snaps of my track with all the barriers up and ready to race.

see them at http://groups.msn.com/bitchargoz/general1.msnw?Page=4

Sure there isn’t anyone around the NW of Tassie thats keen to have a blat??

Any suggestions for some other cool stuff that I can put in?

8ch Ess Vee
      Micro Super Charger, Black WRX 27mHz

Cranga
      Participant

Great track! the bridge looks smooth and easy to climb, what about some highrises and a lake or something made out of cellophane?

Bap Bap Bap

DaveF
      Participant

Mate, that looks great. What are the barriers made out of? Some sort of plastic angle by the looks of it. Where did you get that from?

Try some Seleys Fix-All very veyr lightly waterred down for sticking paper logos and banners to it.

????????????????????????
      DaveF! 👿
      My track – http://community.webshots.com/album/58669595eliwuK

Shypo
      Participant

thats lookin very cool, could u tell us what motors you use etc and how all the races go etc

—-
      Go Fast, Be Free with Low CC

Undisputed Post Pimp

Barrelll
      Participant

man thats a wicked track … i see you used the same kind of stuff to make the barriers, but what did u use to make the surface ?

ITs a great looking track and love the chickenfeed track, does the car fit in the back bit ??

27MHZ 3.5 Honda Accord (Custom Exhaust and F1 Wing)
      35MHZ 1.0 Battery Modded Castrol Supra
      45MHZ 2.2 Custom Painted Yellow and Black WRX
      57MHZ 2.6 Booster Trueno
      Mini Z Blue WRX (Lights, Gold alloys, Exhaust)
      Mini Z Castrol Supra + all mods (Coming)

Shypo
      Participant

i just saw the rest of the pics and WOW. it looks like a Los Angeles freeway from above 😀

—-

Undisputed Post Pimp

8ch Ess Vee
      Participant

Thanks Guys:D

The bridge isn’t too bad to get over. The base is a 10mm ply sub base with 3mm craft wood (MDF) glued down and then painted with black Blackboard paint. It’s a bit too smooth in patches but I found that a bit of a rub with a scotch pad / scourer roughs it up just right without ruining the look of it. I think I may actually leave a couple of smooth patches here and there just to catch the unwary out!

The bridge needs just a bit more rubbing to make it easy to get up either way, but unless you have a full tank (read charge) you may not make it over first time due to lack of traction. Quite a bit of skill required to ensure you get a good run at it and miss the barriers so you don’t loose too much speed.

But as Cranga said, it is perfectly smooth up and over.

Plans on the board are a pit building with a control tower at one end with about 4 bay big enough to fit a Bit into. I thought about a lake and perhaps a creek or waterfall running into it off the very edge of the outer frame. I may even try filling it with some clear resin to look realistic. Perhaps even a boat!!

I also had the idea of street lights for night racing. One day perhaps.

DaveF, I used 19mm x 19mm x about 1.5-2mm white plastic angle for all the barriers. Held down with staples for most of the way and a couple of self tapping screw in the dificult bits where the staple gun wouldn’t fit. Bought the angle from Mitre 10 at about $4.00 for a 2.4 mtr length and I used ever inch of about 5 lengths for my track.

I have some sticky back A4 paper that I was gonna try for the barrier logos, then perhaps a layer of clear sticky tape over the top to protect ’em abit from bumps and marks. That failing, I’ll give the Selly’s stuff a whirl. Is the Fix-All like your standard old Aquadhere white glue or something different?

Barelll, the Chicken feed truck was a real bargain. The whole upper section of the trailer is held down with a screw and a couple of clips, but I think that I will be able easily remove it and carefully cut the back door out and make a nice ramp. I may need to put a new floor in too. And yeah, the cars should just fit in there perfectly :smiley2:

Shypo, the bridge does look like an LA freeway, I wanted that look of bitumen and concrete for the bridge, and I’m pleased with the end result so far. I’m just running a standard Compact Char G with I presume the standard 2.2 motor I think, which is just OK. I don’t as yet have any other motors (1.0 etc) to try to comment. The Nano Racers are about the same speed as the Compact so I guess they are a similar motor. (Not yet up to speed with all that side of these little babies yet, been too busy on the track) I’ll definately let you know of any race results if and when I find a few competitors!!

Again thanks everyone for the positive feedback, I had better go do some more work on it now!

8ch Ess Vee

Edited by – 8ch Ess Vee on 12 February 2003 17:19:34

DaveF
      Participant

Fix-All is pretty strong stuff. With a smidgeon of water added to it (1-2%) it spreads well and takes to paper really well.

Where did you get the plastic angle from? how much? What lengths? What’s it normally used for?

Again, looks good.

????????????????????????
      DaveF! 👿

Shypo
      Participant

is the 2.2 to fast or a bit slow 8ch Ess Vee?

where abouts are u located man cos i would love to giv that track a go lol

—-

Undisputed Post Pimp

8ch Ess Vee
      Participant

DaveF,
      That Fix-All sounds like good stuff, stick to plastic OK does it?

I’ve seen pics of your track which looks awesome, and some of your videos clips too. I need to get a firewire card and an video editing package for my home PC and hopefully I may be able to post a video too. Just need a few more spare $ to come my way and I’ll be cruisin’!

The angle was from Mitre 10, but I guess most hardware stores would have it. I think they use it mainly around edges of either plaster board or laminex. There was a big rack of the stuff all different dimensions (up to nearly 50 x 50) along with ‘H’ and ‘U’ section stuff used for joining ply lining and covering edges etc. It was reasonably cheap at around the $4.00 per 2.4mtr length mark from memory.

Shypo,
      I had a mate drop around last night (another one with a VS Clubsport, same as mine but Series I and Black :smiley16:) and we raced around for an hour or so.

Had a heap of fun, nearly wet ourselves with laughter when he misjudged the first corner and swung straight into the pit EXIT lane full tilt and took out half of the lego Pit crew and a couple of cars!blackeye:

I think that after that I would say the standard motors I am running are perhaps just on the fast side. You need to really be coscious of not going too fast or you will miss the apex of the corners and plough into the rails. I can’t yet make it around just holding the gas on that’s for sure.

I guess a lot of it will come down to practice and getting the hang of turning just at the right time. For example once you go over the bridge you need to just coast down the otherside, otherwise there isn’t a hope in hell of making it around the next corner (far right hand corner of track in the overview) because you are traveling too quick.

I live in Devonport Tasmania, and if I remember correctly you are on the “North Island” (Sydney?), but if you are ever in the area, feel free to drop me a line for sure!!

Cheers

8ch Ess Vee

Cranga
      Participant

Streetlights would looks sweet!
      I thing they would look great going over your bridge!

heres some examles you could use

http://www.discounttrainsonline.com/graphics/433/L1703.jpg

Bap Bap Bap

dgs73
      Participant

that track rocks, matey… how long did it take to complete??

Barrelll
      Participant

thanks for that, i might head down to chickenfeed today 😀 I have seen that truck before and thought “thatd be an awesome bit char carrying truck” but didnt have the $2 on me to get it (dont laugh people! lol).

So ill go get it, and work on it, and see how it goes = D

Anychance of bringing your track down when you come down for the trade show ? :smiley2::smiley2::smiley2:

57MHZ 2.6 Booster Trueno

Shypo
      Participant

thanks for the invite man, if im ever there i may just hav to come and whip all u damn tasmanians lol:D

sounds like funning screaming around, went to maccas last night with a couple of mates, one with a VL and ripped burnouts for about 20 mins then went a had a drag with sum tools in a old falcon, absoultey ripped em to peices. did i mention the VL is turbo and runs 10’s:smiley16::clown::D

—-

Undisputed Post Pimp

8ch Ess Vee
      Participant

Thanks for that link Cranga, I was laying in bed last night and thought that I may even be able to modify some christmas lights to make some cheap and reasonably bright street lights. I’ll have to have a look at ’em to see what’s gonna work and look cool.

dgs73, I guess it has taken about one month but only around 15-20hrs actual work time to get it to this stage. As for completion, I think that I’m a long way still from getting it finished.:shock:

Barelll, I started last night by cutting the back door out of the truck. Soaked the original stickers off and just about to design some new ones to put on. Two Bits fit perfectly in the back of the truck. I’ll put a new floor in just to make it look good, but I think it will come up real sweet:D I’ll post some pics when I’m finished.

As for getting my track to Hobart, I’d really love to but I’m busy on the saturday, and I don’t think I have got any way of carrying it down there on Sunday.

I guess I could strap it to the roof of the Clubsport 😯 NOT.

Dunno, if you really wanted, perhaps I could possibly send it down on Redline. Not too sure what the cost would be though?

Shypo, Bring it on dude! by the time you get down here I will have perfected my laps and you will be sorry you even set foot on out little slice of paradise!!

I had a mate a few years back that had a VL turbo. Awesome car, ran low 13’s with standard tyres and auto. Ran about 24lb boost with a 3″ side pipe straight off the turbo and water/methanol injection. Won the Street car title here in Tassie for a couple of years in a row in a basically standard car.

Awesome burnouts too!! Did a couple of them for him when we used to swap cars now and then. My 5.0litre VB SLE was a bit slower than his VL, but for bottom end torque My bus had the wood on him (read for the first 15mtrs over the 1/4:sad:)

As for whooping a Falcon, Jeez, what did you expect! I mean really.

I guess you know what FORD stands for:

F*****
      On
      Race
      Day

8ch Ess Vee

Shypo
      Participant

yeah i know but its funny when sum is acting tough as and then u whoop them lol.

man no1 can beat the BUs, the bus is the best BCG on earth, my speed racer will also disable u.

trust me GT-ahh felt its wrath and on the Sydney race day evry1 else will feel the pain to:evil:

—-

Undisputed Post Pimp

8ch Ess Vee
      Participant

OK Then, perhaps I should be just a little scared then!!blackeye:

8ch Ess Vee

Shypo
      Participant

trust me u should man, the bus just pile drives and speed racers rides up on the back of cars and doesnt get off, it causes u to drive into a walll and then i reverse speed racer and drive away with victory

—-

Undisputed Post Pimp

Barrelll
      Participant

Right im going to chickenfeed today and getting that semi trailor :D:D:D

And leave ya track where it is, dont risk hurting it, hopefully well get our track a little more advanced with a bridge !

57MHZ 2.6 Booster Trueno

8ch Ess Vee
      Participant

OK, OK, OK, Shypo I get the picture man!!

I’ll start to have nightmares about your speed racer doing the unmentionable to my precious inocent little cars if you keep going! 👿

Barelll,

before you build any bridges, I will measure mine and let you know about the right size to make it.

The more I rac around my track, the more I wish I hadn’t made it quite so steep :clown:

I’ll get back to you.

8ch Ess Vee

Barrelll
      Participant

o ok yeh i can see how it would be a bit difficult, thanks for the advice !

57MHZ 2.6 Booster Trueno

8ch Ess Vee
      Participant

Barelll,

I measured my bridge last night, it is 900mm from the flat on one side to the same point at the other, and it is 90mm high to the bottom of the 3mm MDF at the highest point.

It gives a reasonable clearance for cars going under the bridge, so I’d say the height is about right, but I would probably make it about about 1100mm overall in length.

That would make it just that little bit easier to get over.

The track surface would have a bit of an effect on this too as would motor and gearbox ratio.

Have a go with a scrap piece of your blackboard track and see how it performs before you make any permanent changes to your layout would be my advice.

Cheers

8ch Ess Vee

DaveF
      Participant

My bridge was only 50mm high, and cars pass under ok, so maybe yo ucould lover the overall height, making the angle more acute, and the hill easier to get over.

????????????????????????
      DaveF! 👿

Shypo
      Participant

doesnt ur aerial hit the bridge Dave?

—-

Undisputed Post Pimp

DaveF
      Participant

It does, but as it’s flexible, it’s not an issue.

????????????????????????
      DaveF! 👿

Barrelll
      Participant

thanks for that guys, will really help me make mine when we get around to doing it !

57MHZ 2.6 Booster Trueno

8ch Ess Vee
      Participant

DaveF, you are right, 50mm would probably be enough to allow them to pass under. I have just finished the structural phase of the Pit lane Buildings (a coat of paint and some signs and they will be done) and my little workshop doors are 55H x 50W, and the cars fit fine, but the aerials do catch fairly bad.

I thought that after seeing a lot of photos with aerials coiled spring fashion, that they may then catch on the bridge if it was too low. I also didn’t want to make it too hard to see the cars as they passed under the bridge and also for ease of access in the event of a multi-car pile up!!

My bridge actually started out at 75mm high but due to the radius of the bridge / track, it ended up 90mm at the highest point.

I used a piece of 75 x 50mm x 200mm long (bridge width) pine as the supports either side of the track.

In hind sight, perhaps laying the pine on its side (50mm high) would have been enough.

Next track I’ll re-invent it all again no doubt, perhaps a corkscrew ramp would be a challenge.

Then again I had thoughts of my next track being a mini Mount Panorama, complete with the mountain.:D

It may depend on if I want to keep my girlfriend or not blackeye:

8ch Ess Vee

Shypo
      Participant

whoa man u soo have to make a mount panorama. screw the missus off LOL.

Dave if i hit a bridge with sum of My BCG aerials it would pull my car back onto its tail

—-

Undisputed Post Pimp

DaveF
      Participant

Yeah. The solid core arial mod may cause grief when going under low bridges, but it’s have to be a very inflexible bit of wire. There’s always the option of bending it back at 45mm height anyway.

I tend to make my arial sit up straight and tall, bt that’s part asthetics, and part me playing with the wire while I wait for it to charge up.

????????????????????????
      DaveF! 👿

8ch Ess Vee
      Participant

Don’t play with it too much Dave, it will fall off!

I have noticed a few times the aerial has caught on the Dunlop bridge and spun the car straight around and into the barriers!

Looks kinda cool actually!

I have a big piece of ply that would fit a mini Mount Panorama perfectly.

I may have to unload my first track though to make some room in the workshop for the bigger layout.

I really want to get all my techniques down pat on this track before I start into another project.

As for getting rid of the missus, I could be really nasty and send her around to your place!!

Hmmmm, Then I would have plenty of time to build another track!! :smiley2:

Now there’s a thought!! 👿

8ch Ess Vee

DaveF
      Participant

I’ve never had trouble with the arials.

The mount panorama sounds good. You’ll have to scale the height down even more so though I think, the old CharGs just don’t cut it in the climbing department.

????????????????????????
      DaveF! 👿

8ch Ess Vee
      Participant

Yeah, I think you are right there Dave.

I was thinking that I would have the pit straight at ground zero and the top of the mountain at say + 150 – 200mm and actually bending the track base to acheive the desired contour and supporting it with a frame at the mountain end.

That way it would slightly resemble the real track contour, but there would actually be only very gentle rises over a long distances to make it suitable for the Char-Gs.

As in the real world, climbing would be just a little slower, but coming down conrod would be really fast 😀

One day perhaps!!!!

8ch Ess Vee

DaveF
      Participant

Yeah. There’s a guy known as weijy or something like that, on admirals lair that can tell you more about the pitfalls of having a track with upward slopes. He had the best track I have ever seen, but trashed it because it was no good to race around. I think his lowest to highest point gap was pretty small. Unless your track is massive, I’d make it 100mm tops

????????????????????????
      DaveF! 👿

Viewing 32 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.