Ultimate RC Speed Event!!

Home Forums 1/8, 1/10, 1/12, 1/18 – Discussion Ultimate RC Speed Event!!

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      PandaBear
      Participant

For the Melbourne fellas, headsup that the local chaps
      are going to be running at the Coburb Velodrome.

Basically its an all-out speed event on the banked oval track!!

Saturday 1st of March.

Velodrome Details & Form

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

How do they measure speed?

If life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life, then let’s get wasted and have the time of our lives!!

PandaBear
      Participant

Its a velodrome, so I’d guess they’ll know how long each lap is… I think its about 250m, and a 12 second lap is considered ‘good’.

Or if the magazine guys are present then they’re likely to bring a radar gun too, or else some of the other folk have a tennisball radar as well.

PandaBear
      Participant

1st March got rained out, so it was moved to 15th March… which was Last Weekend!!

Fastest car around that track on Saturday was clocked at 104km/h by radar…

DaveF
      Participant

How big was it? 1:10 scale?

👿 DaveF!
      My track – http://community.webshots.com/album/58669595eliwuK

Shypo
      Participant

104km/h by a R/c car!!!!!
      HOLY CRAP DUDE.

that is absoutley nuts, nitro?

—-
      Go Fast, Be Free with Low CC

Undisputed Post Pimp

PandaBear
      Participant

The guilty speedster was a Schumacher (no relation) “Fusion”, which is designed for idiotic top speeds. Its basically a standard-sized 1/10 touring car with a whopping big 0.21 cu-i engine in it…

1/10s use 0.12 engines in racing which do 1hp+, and the 0.21 are usually found in 1/8 cars.

Schumacher sez their Fusion car is good for 80mph (thats ~130km/h!) but RCCA magazine tested it themselves and only did ~75mph though… so perhaps that’s a bit of sales puffery.

The Fusion is totally built for speed only though. It does not take corners too well due to that great big heavy donk. Its also got a three-speed auto gearbox so you’ll need a very long straight to make good use of that.

The stock 21 engine in the Fusion is nothing flash though… and it was disappointing no one brought along a 1/8 car that night, with a ‘real’ good 21 engine. They can easily hit 140+ within about 3 secs, not sure about sustained speeds though.

Nitro engines really shouldn’t be revved at max for more than a few seconds at a time, otherwise they blow up. blackeye:

Shypo
      Participant

thanks for all the info panda, man that is one psycho car…

and i never knew that about nitro cars. lol lucky my mate never gets the space to rev his to its max

—-

Undisputed Post Pimp

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Yeah some of those cars have insane accelerationtoo. I read somewhere that the Kyosho Inferno 7.5 does the 0-100km/h in 1.5 seconds. Thats nearly twice as fast as a formula 1 car!!!

The .12 nitro cars seem slower around tracks than their electric counterparts.

If life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life, then let’s get wasted and have the time of our lives!!

8ch Ess Vee
      Participant

I have an older Ofna HODR 1/8 scale 4wd off road buggy with a .21 engine and yeah, acceleration is awesome on those things.

Its amazing to see them struggling for traction and peppering everything behind with dirt, grass or gravel.

I remember reading a few years ago about a 1/6 scale RC funny car with a .60 nitro engine that did a 1/6th scale 1/4 mile (about 66 meters I think) in something like 1.8 seconds, from a standing start (obviously).

That is awesome acceleration and even more incredible traction for something so relatively small. They are probably heaps quicker these days, that would have been 10 years a go when I read that article.

Great fun, I will have to get stuck back into fixing my car up again. I am in the process of making new stainless brake discs and fibreglass pads for it. (4 discs, 6 pads)

Ya definately need to be able to pull these suckers up in a hurry. They weigh about 3 kilos and when they are doing 60 odd k’s objects get close really quickly. Lucky these things are so dam tuff. Touch wood, I have never broken anything except front bumpers and rear wings (cartwheels do that sometimes 😀 )

8ch Ess Vee
      Micro Super Charger, Black WRX 27mHz

Shypo
      Participant

i wouldnt mind seein that car in action ech ess vee, also wouldnt mind a 1/10 toruing HSV:D

—-

Undisputed Post Pimp

PandaBear
      Participant
      Quote:
      Its amazing to see them struggling for traction and peppering everything behind with dirt, grass or gravel.

Ouch, don’t remind me.

Many years ago, I was rapt doing good ol’ donuts in gravel.
      Round and round and round and round… so much smoke!!
      Just about dug a hole in the backyard. 😀

Then I realised my bare shins & ankles felt like I’ve been
      blasted with a shotgun… boy that hurt!!!

8ch Ess Vee
      Participant

Shypo, there are quite a few good clips available on the web of the 1/8 Off Road. One that I downloaded a month or two back has some guys going over some jumps and getting their cars about 6 feet in the air!!

I have Digital Video Camera but as yet don’t have the relevant hardware to get any video footage into my PC!

I will at some stage scan a few of my old photos and take some current pics of all my RC cars and boats plus some pics of my 1:1 cars and load ’em onto the web.

Toy Garage so far includes:
      1/8 scale Nitro Ofna HODR Off Road .21 (3.5cc) buggy.
      1/8 scale Hotshot Sprint 7.5cc Outboard Tunnel Hull boat.
      1/8 scale Avenger 11cc Monohull boat.
      1/10 scale Fast Electric Monohull boat (still in progress)
      1/18(??) scale HRT Commodore (cheapie toy type)

I’d also love to get one of the 1/10 HSV / HRT, Coupe or Maloo nitro cars. They look really nice! I’d be too scared to drive it in fear of scratching the paint (just like my 1:1 Clubsport 7 years old and still only 50,000 k’s on the clock 🙂 )

8ch Ess Vee

PandaBear
      Participant
      Quote:
      I have Digital Video Camera but as yet don’t have the relevant hardware to get any video footage into my PC!

Last year I bought a IEEE1394 card for about $30 recently, works a treat; would be cheaper by now I’d bet. You don’t need anything fancy for a MiniDV device.

Quote:
      I’d also love to get one of the 1/10 HSV / HRT, Coupe or Maloo nitro cars. They look really nice! I’d be too scared to drive it in fear of scratching the paint (just like my 1:1 Clubsport 7 years old and still only 50,000 k’s on the clock 🙂 )

The chassis under those cars aren’t all that impressive… only 2WD too. Suggest better route is getting a spare body and putting it onto a half-decent chassis for a much better car at roughly the same price.

8ch Ess Vee
      Participant

PandaBear,

I have also seen the IEEE1394 / firewire cards going cheap (well, below $100.00 anyway last time I noticed one advertised somewhere).

Having not had the opourtunity to play with any of that stuff before, I’m still in the dark a bit.

Not too sure, but wouldn’t I also need to get my hands on some DV editing software for editing any video on the pc?

What’s good / easy to use / and reasonably priced, suggestions anyone??

My home machine is gettin’ on a bit, its a PIII 450, 9 Gig HD and 64 meg of RAM, so possibly not up to the task!!??

Any help greatfully accepted eg hard drive requirements, RAM etc.

I had heard the same thing about those chassis. Not that I have the spare ca$h at the moment to buy anything, but if I did, I would do exactly as you suggest.

I think I have also seen 1/8th scale holden shells available which I could drop onto my existing off roader, drop it down real low and put on a cool set of street tyres/wheels.

One day perhaps!

8ch Ess Vee

PandaBear
      Participant

IEEE1394/FW is just like a souped up serial card, so it doesn’t matter what brand/model it is. They *all* do the same job! Some modern SoundBlasters even have a FW port, I think.

Win98 will auto-recognise whatever the card.

Only Win98SE and later (note the ‘SE’ bit!) have MS’s generic DV-control protocols, so your PC will know how to talk to your mDV camera.

Software wise there’s a lot to choose from, anything from Adobe Premiere downwards.

PC speed isn’t really that critical, except for the processing time. Just have to wait longer.

More critical is HDD room & speed. As a minimum budget for about 30GB/hr of video, and a 7200rpm drive is best to avoid dropouts. Your bus should be fast enough to support the throughput too.

I am not far away either… only a P3-600EB with 256M. I had only approx 26GB (2 IDEs) so I added a 3rd 80GB 7200rpm HDD recently, via a external FW case. This is a fantastic investment – excellent throughput, no dropouts.

I haven’t really coded any big movies yet though… might take a coupl’a days on a P3… :dead:

ph2t
      Participant

Guys,

forum.doom9.org has a great DV Forum on capturing and editing.

Cheers,

ph2t.

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.