Upcoming Site Changes

Home Forums General Chat Upcoming Site Changes

Viewing 37 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

Hi Everyone,
      As I’ve alluded to in a few previous posts I’m working on a pretty major back-end revamp of the site.

Hopefully the revamp will address some of your concerns and also improve the availability of features that were here previously.

Key features of the new design are:

[*]Slightly less blue pages – Smoother user interface look/feel
        [*]Ability to select your own avatars (that are hosted elsewhere on the internet)
        [*]Improved password security
        [*]Slightly faster performance
        [*]Much better support for other web browsers (Netscape/Mozilla)
        [*]Easy access to the Tech and Image Galleries that make the core of ausmicro.com (these are currently hard to find)
        [/list]

What I’d like to know is if there’s any other pressing changes people would be interested in seeing.

I’m currently considering removing the “Gold” and “Rep” points system and also changing the Posting Classifications.

—-
        Moderator, Admin, and all that 🙂

Edited by – Aaron on 02 May 2003 17:20:18

--
      Site Owner Guy.

SurfmyStrat
      Participant

i dont know if this is possible for you guys or what, but it would be pretty cool(if you could) if there could be like a mini chat room on the website… so you could chat in real time… just something to think about:D

you are currently at: http://www.ausmicro.com

Keymaster

Chat is something I could probably incorporate – it would require a few things to be hacked in the code and some half decent security features … I’ll look into it.

Ofcourse the side issue of people talking in chat and then not actally posting stuff could be an issue 😉

—-

--
      Site Owner Guy.

micro_Amps
      Participant

I would probably do both, respond to posts left by people who are not online and chat to people that are in the chat room. What a great idea.
      That’d be excellent if it could be done.

Just an idea…..what are the chances if extending the range of cars covered? I know this site already covers miniZs, tin race cars, and of course BCGs, but there are many others too.
      Is it worth having a historic section (original char-g, Keyence mad tune) other micro RC car section (eg Puchi Maru) new releases section (Tomica Die cast series)an IR section (eg Digi Q) Probably not going to be alot of daily chat in these, but just to get info online on what else is out there.
      :)uA

barto_85
      Participant

sounds good aaron, i dont mind it how it is at the moment anyway, so improvements will be good then.

jord001
      Participant

That would be brilliant Aaron a chat room. As i am in england im always so many hours behind.

jord :approve:

Mini Cooper B3.0 Has anyone else got one?
      R34 skyline booster
      R32 skyline standard
      Yellow Supra B2.2
      others B2.2’s but standard.

My Pics @ http://community.webshots.com/user/jord01

SurfmyStrat
      Participant

im sure that everyone here would post stuff and use the chat room. What you could do is get a moderator in the chat room, it would be cool because you could do things such as schedule a talk and discuss things live. That would be awesome. (think of all the great ideas that could come of it!!!:p)

ph2t
      Participant

Yeah, I’d be up for a chat room as well. AS if I didn’t do enough at work anyways……….:smiley2:

SurfmyStrat
      Participant

also before i forget, you should add more smileys, here are some ideas:
      mouth dropping smiley
      drooling smiley
      confused smiley

:D:D:D

barto_85
      Participant

yeah i think the chat room could be a good idea, usually theres not many more than 7 – 10 people on the site at a time, i guess a chat room could boost the numbers because people will stay on longer to chat, but yeah topics could be overlooked because they are answered in chat rooms.

Keymaster

Thanks for the input 🙂

I’ll start looking out for Chat stuff (if it comes it will be as a new feature after the rest of the new stuff comes on stream)

As for the Forum additions…. I wouldn’t like to add more – but instead shall probably sit down with the Moderators and we’ll see what and how we can change existing forums to make other types for appropriate!

—-

--
      Site Owner Guy.

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Chat room would be good, but it might damage the site, why not just use msn messenger??

Glad to hear that you are changing the post classifications, im getting a little ired of being an apprentice post pimp lol.

If life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life, then let’s get wasted and have the time of our lives!!

Shypo
      Participant

bahaha, Yeah well u deserve it Jamie:p

—-
      Go Fast, Be Free with Low CC

Undisputed Post Pimp

Keymaster

*laughs* Well that’s the hard bit – deciding what categories to have – if any ;0 – and their cut in points.

Overall there’s no more Gold or rep points in the new code but post counts stay for sure.

Avatars will now be 64×64 pixels and all will be reset when we go to the new code. You will be able to link to an avatar you have hosted elsewhere on the Internet or use one of our existing ones.

There is a lot less blue in the new code 😉 And the other available colour schemes all work well.

Other news?

Well not much to report things are progressing as well as I had planned – although we’re now at the tough end of the development spectrum.

—-

--
      Site Owner Guy.

barto_85
      Participant

sounds good aaron

Impreza
      Participant

gj Aaron, refreshing the site is not needed but nice just the same:)

Impreza :smiley16:

micro_Amps
      Participant

Thanks in advance Aaron, your tireless efforts have helped alot of people get alot more enjoyment out of this stuff.
      Keep up the good work.
      :)uA

PandaBear
      Participant

When’s the last time you played your BCG, Aaron? 👿

Keymaster

awww errr ummmmm – I dug out my two speed about 3 months ago 😉

I started work on the rebuild of the site at the start of April and been pretty full on into that since.

—-

--
      Site Owner Guy.

KittyKatSmack
      Participant

*Kitty spanks Aarons bum*

All work and no play means your batteries still go flat!!!

*grins*

😀

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      *purr purr*
      😀

Z Blue Skyline
      Z Silver Mazda
      BitCharG Hummer
      BitCharG GTR ~ arriving soon!

KittyKatSmack
      Participant

No Chat
      No Chat
      No Chat
      No Chat

1. There are more than enough already existing chat programs out there ie/ msn that you can create your own chat rooms if you want.

2. Aaron already has enough to do doesn’t he?

3. I think the posting rate will suffer

4. Chat? Blerk! Yuck!

Like Jord said, with the time differences in Oz and around the world, you couldn’t organise a time for everyone to be on anyway, so people would always miss out. No fair!

Let Aaron finish what he is doing now without adding to the workload, unless some of you are putting your hand up to actually help?????
      hmmmm????

Didn’t think so… so go to MSN and create a chat room there or something and let ausmicro continue as it has done, don’t take away from how well it is going please?

That’s my bit.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      *purr purr*
      😀

Z Blue Skyline
      Z Silver Mazda
      BitCharG Hummer
      BitCharG GTR ~ arriving soon!

Crom
      Participant

I’m with Kitty, I don’t think we need a chat room on this site.

But a slightly larger range of smileys would be nice 😀

And I’m looking forward to having my own avatar.

Yep, I’m still alive and floating around. 😀
      Uni’s just caught up with me thats all! :dead:

barto_85
      Participant

yeah i agree, chat is not necessary, dont bother with the extra effort.

Edited by – barto_85 on 08 May 2003 18:32:51

spanky
      Participant

I love the blues in it now.. if i would change anything about them i would maybe tone them down a bit… other than that the only thing im not crazy about is when there are 3 or 4 replys to a post of mine, i get an email for each reply. i have seen other forums that only send you one e-mail for the first reply. and then once youve read it if more replys are made you will get another e-mail.. but only one at a time for a specific topic… i have noticed sometimes i have 8 or 9 emails all for the same topic.

other than that this place is rocking!!!

Custom bodys: Ferari 250 GTO, 69 doge charger, Micro Cooper, Beemer 320i Turbo, Baha Beatle, New Beatle Rsi Porche 911
      email: custombitbodys@attbi.com

z-beam
      Participant

could i have some info on the games side of things?
      even the name of the software would help!

no chat, i’m happy with the boards. and for the colour, the blue is soothing. keep it real!
      :smiley2:

Shypo
      Participant

Agreed on the whole no chat thing

—-

Undisputed Post Pimp

ph2t
      Participant

Do you have a timeline yet Aaron as to when the new changes will go into production?

ph2t.

barto_85
      Participant

I hope aaron reads this before he spends a lot of time on the whole chat thing.

barto_85
      Participant

how big is 64 x 64 pixels, is it about the size of the avatars at the bitpimps forum?

Shypo
      Participant

yeah custom Avatrs would be cool, like where u can choose ur own.

—-

Undisputed Post Pimp

spanky
      Participant

64×64 is approximately twice the size of your current avitar.. but not as big as the bitpimps avitars. which i believe have a max of 80×80.

yea having an avitar library would be awesome. maybe just putting a page loaded with them along with the direct link so that we could copy and paste it into avitar field.. although having a clickable library would be cool too…

Custom bodys: Ferari 250 GTO, 69 doge charger, Micro Cooper, Beemer 320i Turbo, Baha Beatle, New Beatle Rsi Porche 911
      email: custombitbodys@attbi.com

barto_85
      Participant

yeah, im getting used to these avatars though, everyone will look different now, shypo wont have his man with hands on hips, barrell wont have his little penguin thing. yeah but custom ones will be cool.

Keymaster

Well the answer to most of the questions will be in the new thread I start today but in short.

There will be no chat.

The exisiting avatars will be available in the new design although they will look a bit chunky. I expect people like DaveF will resend me bunches of new ones that I will make available in an easy to select manner. (like the current code) as well as you guys havign the freedom to use your own custom ones.

The blues are much softer and more freindly – plus there’s only 3 other colour combos at the moment with a few more to come.

We also have a terrific new feature I’m working on with the help of Ringodingo that will revolutionise micro R/C websites world wide!

—-

--
      Site Owner Guy.

barto_85
      Participant

when are you going to upload the change?

Edited by – barto_85 on 12 May 2003 09:36:03

Shypo
      Participant

sweet, wait till my new avatar arrives:evil:

—-

Undisputed Post Pimp

Keymaster

As mentioned now in the Notice posts Friday Aussie time is the day. Should take a few hours to back up the existing site – then about 2 hours to rebuild the database and finally a couple of hourse to upload!

A.

—-

--
      Site Owner Guy.

Keymaster

Oh and just as a note – I’ve been testing the new code and spending a heap of time on the development site and everytime I come back to the actual running site I’m amazed at how ‘clunky’ it feels in comparison. Yes think you’ll all be impressed 😉

A.

—-

--
      Site Owner Guy.

barto_85
      Participant

what will i do, my life will be over if ausmicro is down for a few hours. i’ll have to work 🙁

Viewing 37 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.