Home made suspension…….

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Fellas, I had a rare brainstorm at work and raided some storage cupboards and found some really old DDS tapes(4GB to 8GB sized tapes used to backup data from servers). At first I was thinking that maybe I could pull apart some floppies and use the spring from them. But then I thought, why not try the DDS tapes. And would you believe it the springs in these mofo’s are perfect!

So here’s what you need to do, first source a tape!

springs_step_1.jpg

Then pull it apart and look for two springs sticking out of the plastic backing. Refer to where I have the needle nose pliers pointing for the springs, you can see them but they’re a bit fuzzy.

springs_step_2.jpg

Below shows the springs removed from the DDS tape unit and placed next to a clone wheel so you can see the size of these. A little bit long but otherwise purfect!

springs_step_3.jpg

One third along the length of the spring the coil changes and becomes compressed (as you can see in the previous pic). I cut this portion off since it’s too long anyways…… Below shows the springs cut to a good size.

springs_step_4.jpg

Obviously you need to remove the cover of the steering assembly to be able to put the springs on. Notice the clearance given by the springs to the pivot to allow the cover to sit back on without overcompressing the spring and therefore inhibiting steering ability.

springs_step_5.jpg

And your done………………

springs_step_6.jpg

So all you fellas who work in IT get those DDS tapes now before they disappear!

:approve:

ph2t.

Participant

I might have a few spare :). If anyone is interested PM me.

Cheers,

ph2t.

Participant

Hey Ph2t,

how is the car’s handling now ?

Ciao
      Efarel

Participant

thats a great idea, also i wonder if one of those video camcorder tapes would work the 8mm ones, they look about the same size as the DDS tapes. Ill look in one of mine and tell you.

49 MHz Honda S2000
      2 Clone Mazda RX7’s
      Lots of spare stuff…

Participant

Well done ph2t for finding those. Not exactly accessible by your average joe but a good brainstorm nontheless.
      I have another topic for you to have a brainstorm on….rear suspension.
      Got any ideas?

:)uA

Participant

im not ph2t, but i thinked he would agree that that would envolve a lot of surgery and chassy modifications.

you are currently at: http://www.ausmicro.com

Participant

Nice work Ph2t… shame I destryoed all those tapes when i was little…:shock:

—-
      Go Fast, Be Free with Low CC

Undisputed Post Pimp

Participant

They ride well. Biggest difference is that when I hit a bump the car doesn’t change direction as great as before, turning is still the same I think, didn’t notice much . I’m experimenting with removing the stabiliser bar as well and trying slightly stiffer springs.

I want to try the full wheel mod for the front section using the rear wheels from a clone to see if that improves steering and overall handling as well.

One tip though, if your magnet falls out of the arm it’s encased in make sure you put it in the correct way. I had to stuff around for an hour wondering why my steering was so crap 🙁 , put the magnet in the right way and all is sweet again. 8)

The Hi-8 tape mechanism is similar, I have only 3 tapes that my wife and I use for our camcorder so I ain’t gonna rip them apart:smiley2:. The DDS tapes were gathering dust in a storage cupboard at work, hence the opportunity. Let us know how you go SurfmyStrat.

Micro, if ya want a pair just PM me. As for rear suspension I dunno. I believe you would need to remove the whole rear end to make it happen since you would need to keep the motor/gear/axle assembly together. If the car had a differential (yeah right!) axle setup you might be able to do something but I dunno.

Hmmmmmmmmm…….

ph2t.

Participant

for the rear suspension you would probably have to set the cars rear up kinda like a Mini Z with a H plate connectiing both halves of the chassis. otherwise its gonna be kinda hard.
      Ph2t: when you out the steering cover back on does your car sit higher at the front?

—-

Undisputed Post Pimp

Participant

A little Shypo, but not much man. I’m gonna try some more tensile springs to keep the front end up higher. Too much pressure on the wheel knuckle kills the steering though….

ph2t.

Participant

Ah ok. with the springs i fitted to a couple of my cars (chopped AFX springs) my car barely sits up at all. if anything its a tad lower. yeah i agree with the strong springs.. i use tightly strung springs for a drag car i used to sue so it wouldnt turn when going down the strip.. the little bit of lift is good because then the springs do make a differnece but with a bit 2 much the whole steering characteristis are destroyed..

—-

Undisputed Post Pimp

Participant

ph2t, i got a pair of STIFF springs out of a lighter and they hold the bit steady. i have done the fullsize wheel mod combined with afx suspension on my camo Bb:

http://groups.msn.com/bitchargoz/paintingmods.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=50

the handeling was so improved once i removed the stabilizer bar, also you can wind multiple afx/dds springs together to create higher degrees of tension. have fun tuning!!!

Participant

With the lighter springs Z beam didnt u find them a full on squeeze to get over the knuckles, I know I did…

—-

Undisputed Post Pimp

Participant

excellent idea PH2t… if you have the tapes to spare great.. i went to the hobby shop and bought slot car springs… 4 of them for 1.89. there were about 15-20 different sizes and spring rates, all of which would fit the bit steering knuckle.. im using them on my monster bit right now…

Custom bodys: Ferari 250 GTO, 69 doge charger, Micro Cooper, Beemer 320i Turbo, Baha Beatle, New Beatle Rsi Porche 911
      email: custombitbodys@attbi.com

Participant
      Quote:
      With the lighter springs Z beam didnt u find them a full on squeeze to get over the knuckles, I know I did…

—-

Undisputed Post Pimp

i found a larger than the nuckle pin spring and stretched it so it was perfect diameter. the ones that are too small will always be too small.

Participant

Oh ok.. cos i was wondeirng how the hell you got em on.. i was havin so much trouble.

—-

Undisputed Post Pimp

Participant

yea, i just took apart a Sony Hi8 MP video cassete for the camcorder. It does have a spring in it but it is to large. But as with most other tapes it has some good substitutes for a steering spring.

you are currently at: http://www.ausmicro.com

Participant

Good stuff surfy, nice to know. Is is too large in diameter or in length? ’cause you can always take a pair of clippers to it if it’s too long (as I mentioned in the begining of the thread)

ph2t.

Participant

if a springs diameter is to big u can strecth it to make it less phat. have a go smurfy

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.