Rims with holes larger than TOMY axels…

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      ph2t
      Participant

Got a lovely set of rims on the weekend from a crappy little diecast pullback. The rims are perfect dimensions in comparison to the original Bit rims and the TOMY tyres fit perfectly. The only issue is that the hole for the axle is twice the diameter of a normal rim. Any suggestions on how to fix this? I was going to get some bog from my old man’s shop and plug the holes up and re-drill to a more snug fit but if there is anything else less drastic that can be done that would be good…

Any suggestions fellas?

Cheers,

ph2t.

micro_Amps
      Participant

Be careful redrilling off center, its soooo easy to do and then the rims are ruined, trust me I’ve been there.
      This is messy, but it works…..
      Perhaps try it without glue first so you know how much paper it will take.
      1. Mix up some epoxy, 5 minute stuff if you think you can work quickly.
      2. Get some cigarette papers, “Tally Ho” or something like that.
      3. Dip the end of the axel in the epoxy and start winding on the paper onto the end of the axel.
      4. Keep the paper wet with epoxy as you continue to wind it on until the axel is big enough to fit snuggly in to the larger hole in the wheel.
      5. Trim the glue soaked paper and squeeze the larger axel into the hole in the wheel.
      6. Check it is centered and leave the whole thing to set.
      You will probably need to trim again once the glue is dry, use a sharp hobby knife or a scalpel.

You should end up with a wheel on center on your BCG axel.
      If you’re not carefull, you will get glue EVERYWHERE, its hard not to doing this mod this way.
      For front wheels with holes too big, I have seen a small sleeve made of brass tubing put through the center of the wheel to reduce the internal diammeter to the same as the front axel pin.

Anyway thats what I know of. I’d be very interested to find out other ways of adapting wheels to suit BCGs…..
      :)uA

ph2t
      Participant

Good suggestion, I might just give this ago.

I tried softening up the plastic sheathing from some hobby wire and stretching it over the axle but it kept breaking, arghhhhh!

8ch Ess Vee
      Participant

Would some Heat Shrink tubing be any good??

Failing that some small diameter plastic tube, perhaps the really small stuff from inside a cigarette lighter perhaps?

Some sheilded audio cables (often the stuff used in amature Radio gear I think) are made from Teflon. That may be good. The teflon would have very little friction compared to some other materials.

GT-ahh
      Participant

If teflon is non stick how do they stick it to fry pans?

ph2t
      Participant

8ch, I was thinking about using heatshrink, but I dunno……

8ch Ess Vee
      Participant

GT-ahh, that is one thing us mortals may never know!!!

I do know that it doesn’t stick there forever though!

As for using heatshrink, it may be hard to find the exact right size. Depending on how loose, two layers may be the go.

A bit of trial and error I guess.

spanky
      Participant

find someone with a lathe. fill the hole with jb weld. and stick that tiny drill bit on the end chuck and bammm… your done.

if you dont have a lathe. jb weld the end of the axle.. just a bit.. then stick it in a dremel tool. (you need the chuck) then just turn on and sand to correct diameter.

if you dont have either. the above ideas sound good.

PandaBear
      Participant
      Quote:

Its not stuck on, its painted on!! :smiley2:

Teflon (PTFE?) is a plastic.
      If you heat the pan too hot, it’ll burn off.

micro_Amps
      Participant

I jusr re-read some of this….

Quote:
      from a crappy little diecast pullback. The rims are perfect dimensions in comparison to the original Bit rims and the TOMY tyres fit perfectly

Sounds interesting…..
      What kind of rims were they, how much and where did you find them?
      :)uA

ph2t
      Participant

A small diecast toy in Safeway, I’ve also seen them in Myers. Cost $6. They come in an orange box and say “Track Stars” & “GT43 Racing” on the box.

*edit* They are plastic rims in a mat grey finish.

Edited by – ph2t on 29 May 2003 21:59:53

micro_Amps
      Participant

Have you been able to fit them on yet?

ph2t
      Participant

No, haven’t tried anything yet…. When I get some time…

jamiekulhanek
      Participant
      Quote:

I remember u asking that same q ages ago, i have a feeling high temperatures has something to do with it.

Shypo
      Participant

if you have a good vacuum cleanher.. does it suck?
      another 1 of Gt-ahh’s q’s

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.